Wednesday, August 8, 2007

MMA handles steroids a little differently than Selig

While a lot of focus this summer has been on Bonds and steroid use in baseball, there are also questions regarding fighters in MMA. Most recently UFC lightweight champion Sean Shrek, and his challenger at UFC 73, Hermes Franca, both tested positive for steroids. UFC president Dana White has said he will be "putting the bitch slap on guys who get caught using steroids from here on out." Baseball would sure be a lot more fun if Selig said stuff like that.

One fighter in particular, former UFC Champion welterweight B.J. Penn, has also decided to stand up against steroids in his sport.

Here are Penn's direct words from a recent interview:

"I've suspected for a long time that a lot of these guys are on steroids when I'm busting my butt every day. I can barely walk and my body hurts and people want me to run and here you guys are cheating and doing steroids. Any of you people out there doing steroids, f*ck you guys!"

Classy. Although his words are somewhat crude, I admire Penn's stance on steroids. His direct approach to addressing the situation is a bit of an upgrade in comparison to Bud Selig putting his hands in his pockets. But if I were Penn, I'd still be a bit worried. Angry MMA fighters on a roid rage are I'm sure about the last people in the world you want to have to fight in an enclosed ring, even if you once beat the crap out of a cop.

-WCK

4 comments:

Kevin Hayward said...

I have to think that most of those MMA guys are on something. That kind of size, strength, and aggression are hard to come by naturally.

Jarrett said...

Kimbo Slice sez: Using steroids makes you a punk, and punks jump up to get beat down!

Rickey said...

Those fuckers HAVE to be on steroids to be dumb enough to play in the MMA.

Unknown said...

Most athletes today are taking homeopathic hgh oral spray because it's safe, undetectable, and legal for over the counter sales. As time goes on it seems it might be considered as benign a performance enhancer as coffee, aspirin, red bull, chewing tobacco, and bubble gum.

Free Blog Counter