Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Rugby players care not for endangered species

Man is this story ever bizarre. I don't know if you've ever heard of the quokka, but it's an endangered species or a "vulnerable" species in Australia, depending on whom you ask. Either way, it's an animal in trouble. A quokka basically looks like a mini-kangaroo and weighs about 10 pounds.

Anyway, the Australian rugby team Western Force, which plays in the well known international Super 14 rugby league, is in deep trouble for apparently "hammer-throwing" quokkas during a team bonding session last Friday that - surprise - involved heavy drinking. By the way, if you don't know what hammer-throwing is, take a look at the picture below.
According to Australian newspapers, one player reportedly picked up a quokka by the tail, spun it several times above his head and then let it go - on the fly.

Another incident included a player enacting a series of diving tries with a milk crate containing quokkas. No word on if he spiked the crate in celebration after his successful tries.

My guess would be the quokkas probably didn't enjoy these games too much - if they survived. I'm not sure what the American equivalent to these stunts would be, but I'm pretty sure repeatedly punting a bald eagle would be in the same ballpark.

There's currently an ongoing investigation to determine what exactly happened. I'm pulling for the quokkas.

-WCK

4 comments:

Kevin Hayward said...

I hope it doesn't make me politically incorrect to say that that's pretty funny stuff. Not that I condone it, but I wouldn't have minded watching that.

Unknown said...

Best read of the morning so far. The bald eagle punting got an audible yelp from me at work, causing my co-workers to think I'm insane.

Chris said...

I've thought that Australians were Awesome ever since Crocodile Dundee.

Now I am absolutely convinced.

Anonymous said...

hell, dats nuthin! i raped sum quokkaz 1ce!

Free Blog Counter