Thursday, November 29, 2007

What in the hell is wrong with Canadians?

This isn't really sports related, but whatever. Like everyone else, I spent yesterday being seriously amazed by the video Deadspin put up of an insane Canadian PSA that's been appearing recently during Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts.

But it turns out that Canada's been doing these horror show style PSA's for a while now. And man, are they graphic. I'd have had nightmares for years if I had seen these PSA's as a kid - or think I could survive getting two pieces of rebar stuck through me. But anyway, let's take a look at the others, some of which may even be worse than melting skin soup lady.


Here's the old "guy gets blown up and we watch his body fall 4 stories on to a truck" PSA. I like the coworker who says "There's been an accident." You know, I'd say it's a bit worse than an accident.



Here's the guy with some rebar stuck through him. Is it really necessary to show this? I get the point, be safe.



Here's someone falling through a glass counter.



And here's the Frank Grimes endorsed PSA.



Here's a cartoon for how to respond to unsafe working conditions. The phrase "dude" is used a lot.



And lastly, although this isn't work-related, it's a Canadian Domestic Violence PSA. It of course involves more hot liquids and, uh, it's NSFW.

Remember people, there are no accidents. Personally, I'll never look at soup the same way again.

-WCK

5 comments:

Codylee said...

So amazingly brutal. I'm going to assume that the Canadian version of the FCC is a lot more... lax. Some of them are just so ridiculous though. The one of deadspin really takes the cake. I couldn't help but to laugh at the restaurant one... brutal.

Brandon said...

Holy crap those PSA ads are seriously disturbing.

I think they'd give me nightmares before they changed my behavior.

Heck, I think they'll give me nightmares tonight.

Anonymous said...

I saw the melted skin soup lady commercial while watching Hockey Night on mushrooms.I am currently forming a coup against the government.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

If the same level of violence is used in a movie it looks cool or realistic. Why not show the same for a PSA?, just because it is not for entertainment purposes? I think there needs to be more of a link between violence and its consequences, less of a television detachment.
If the ads disturb they are meant to, and seeing it on TV is way less brutal than seeing a co-worker get their arm caught in a cardboard shredder because they didn't use proper lockout procedures. That sucks in real life. And its 100 times gorier than anything in these ads.

Free Blog Counter