Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Remembering horrible footwear

When you stop and think about it, shoe commercials are pretty decent these days. But that's mostly because the major shoe companies these days - Nike, Reebok and Converse - are all willing to shell out major cash to make the ads good. Well, there was once a time when there were more shoe companies than we have today. And the only way they could compete with the big guns was to make ridiculously stupid commercials. Yes, I'm talking about British Knights, LA Gear, and of course Keds. So let's take a look back at some memorably awful shoe ads from back in the day.


British Knights. Man, talk about classic. Remember how they had the "diamonds that bounce"? Uh, me neither. Anyway, here's what Urban Dictionary has to say about BKs: "BK's were not for the faint hearted - they sported massive decals, plastic add-ons and had tongues bigger than oven mitts. They were particularly popular with [basketballer]s, crip [gangbangers] and [homeboys]." I never do my cripin' without my BKs.



This is also for BKs, and it's a holiday commercial. It has a rapping knight, because nothing says Christmas like a rapping knight.



Now we're on to LA Gear. Man these shoes were horrible. I'm pretty sure the brainstorming session for this ad was - let's make a commercial that will seem hideously dated in about 4 months time. Mission accomplished LA Gear.



And if one LA Gear ad wasn't bad enough, here's former Laker girl Paula Abdul hawking them as well. (Shudder) You know Michael Jackson also did an LA Gear ad.



And last but not least, here's a commercial that should thoroughly warp your already beaten down mind. It's a 1950s Keds ad where a clown convinces kids that they'll run faster and win more if they wear Keds. Remember kids, you're a commie pinko if you don't wear Keds.

-WCK

8 comments:

Kevin Hayward said...

Ah, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I know Reebok has emerged as more than a pretender, but remember the Pumps? Those were classic, too.

Unknown said...

Yea, we didnt have a bunch of cash growing up so I was stuck with LA Gear Regulators and later on Fila's (yet for like 5 minutes, Fila's were cool).

Anonymous said...

I miss Kool Moe Dee .. *sniff* *sniff*

Cecilio's Scribe said...

$$ post

Anonymous said...

Once my mom bought me these BK Dymacels. This black guy at school was like, "Those are fly. What size are they?" And then I started crying.

Liston

Anonymous said...

I love my sports shoes which I brought from Dick's Sporting Goods store through CouponAlbum site at very low price...They are so comfortable...

John said...

Those are some old school shoes, why don't you goto KeepCash and buy some new ones and save 10%!

Anonymous said...

I just could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I really loved the standard
info an individual provide to your guests? Is going to be
back frequently to check up on new posts
seo company

Free Blog Counter